My mother’s stuffed zucchini is wonderful. It’s a dish she brought into the family many years ago and it has been well loved since then. It’s a recipe that combines my two favourite places together: my mother’s kitchen and my father’s garden. It’s also a recipe that has taught me a valuable lesson of waste not, get more. Nothing in this recipe goes to waste and because of that, you will experience an incredible heartiness to this dish. You’ll see what I mean when you read and follow the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or any cooking oil of your choice
- 2 chopped onions
- 4 medium sized zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric
- 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Meat filling
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- Thoroughly combine all the ingredients
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 2 inch rounds
- With a melon baller or spoon, scoop out the flesh of each zucchini round. Do not scoop out the bottom of each round. You want to make little cups for to hold your filling. These cups will be a welcoming embrace for the sumptuous meat filling so you want to make sure they’re as hollow and sturdy as possible. Reserve the flesh for the later steps. It makes a nice thick sauce.
- Take a tablespoon of the ground beef mixture and roll them into balls. Press the balls into the zucchini cups to allow them to adhere.
Bringing it all together:
- In a large saucepan or stockpot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and sautee the onions and reserved zucchini flesh until the onions are translucent and fragrant
- Add the oregano, tomato paste, and turmeric and cook for 20 seconds
- Place zucchini cups into the pot and and water to bring it to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes or until the meat filling has browned. Stir from time to time.
This dish can be served with bread or cooked rice to absorb the lovely sauce.
This dish can be enjoyed any time of the year. If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to leave a comment or question below! I’d love to hear about your experience.
If you loved this recipe as much as I do, then also feel free to share the love by sharing this article.